What to Wear to a Funeral
Are you planning to attend a funeral at funeral homes Skokie, IL, in the near future but are confused about what to wear? A funeral is a highly formal event that demands the best behavior from all guests and that includes your attire choice.
While you have already seen people getting dressed in all-black, that’s not the only option you have. Check out the below tips for anyone visiting a funeral service:
1. Black is a traditional color and is always appropriate. You will never look out of place in black at a funeral in any funeral setting. But you can wear anything as long as it isn’t brightly colored. Generally, dark grays and deep blues are also highly appropriate, especially with accents and accessories. Avoid bright colors such as pinks, yellows, oranges, and reds
2. Be sure the shirts/dresses cover up to the neck as you’re not going to a club or gym. Plus, avoid opening the collars. Revealing attire is generally not appropriate in any funeral setting.
3. Avoid wearing shorts or miniskirts. The pants should cover the knees. Plus, wear decent shoes. Avoid flip-flops or athletic shoes. As a rule of thumb, try to dress as you would for church or a job interview
4. If the funeral is not too formal or religious, t-shirts may be appropriate. However, avoid wild prints, logos, or anything that draws unnecessary attention of other guests. Just in case, keep a formal jacket on hand; this basic addition can help make many outfits passable!
5. Be at your best in a religious funeral. Some traditions require hats for women and/or men
Basic Tips for Women
Here are basic instructions for a women guests:
- Prefer wearing dark dresses or suits. The traditional dress code has long been a modest black dress or a black business dress suit.
- Keep shoulders and knees covered.
- Tasteful color accents can be acceptable.
- Avoid bright sun dresses or anything that is overly revealing.
The goal is not to wear anything that grabs the attention of other visitors. It gives a false impression that you are more concerned about looking good than offering condolences to the bereaved. You will be fine with a conservative selection of brighter or lighter colors, business-casual options, modest dresses, and variations of skirts, blouses, and pants.
If you’re in doubt, go with the more conservative and more traditional options. It’s always better to come to a funeral overdressed rather than underdressed.
Basic Tips for Men
Men have more flexibility in wearing an appropriate dress for a funeral. Some of the useful tips include:
- Dark suits or buttoned shirts.
- Long-sleeved shirts, or a one with a collar
- Belt with a tucked-in shirt
- Go with dress shoes or loafers. Avoid wearing too casual shoes like sneakers, athletic shoes, or flip-flops.
- Avoid shorts and caps.
But it’s a reality that with the changing times, less strictly formal attire has become acceptable to wear for both men and women at funeral at funeral homes Skokie, IL contact us now for your immediate need.